I’m not really an egg devotee. I appreciate a good breakfast sandwich or pizza as much as the next person, but I’m never going to incorporate hard boiled eggs into my meal plan or be the first in line for deviled eggs at a picnic.
I’m what you might call a late-in-life egg adopter. They mostly started making an appearance beyond baked goods after I moved out of my parents’ house a few years ago because they make for a quick and nutritious meal.
That being said, I like eggs best when they’re with a bunch of other stuff. Here’s my scrambled egg smash. Perfect for lunch or dinner and highly adaptable to your personal preferences and whatever you have in your fridge.
1-2 eggs per person
1-2 handfuls of frozen tater tots
1-2 veggies of choice (I used mushrooms and spinach)
a handful of grated cheese of your choice
a spoonful or two of queso!
salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder
1. Start by putting the tater tots in a microwave safe container and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
2. Transfer the tater tots to a frying pan and place over medium heat.
3. Let the tater tots cook for 3-4 minutes until they start to turn crisp and golden, then flip to the other side.
4. Add your other veggies in and let cook for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften. I used mushrooms and spinach, but bell peppers, broccoli, tomatoes etc. would all work well. Season with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you like.
5. While the veggies are cooking, crack your eggs into the empty tater tot bowl and beat with a fork or whisk. Add the beaten eggs to the frying pan and use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to move the eggs around until they’re mostly cooked through.
6. Add the cheese or queso and fold/stir to combine into the egg and veggie mixture.
7. Turn off the heat and enjoy! Pairs well with toast or a croissant and maybe some fresh fruit.